Whilst we were waiting for our star trails exposures to complete (see this post) we spent the time using our second camera bodies practising some light painting.
We setup with the city as our backdrop and used the grassed area in the foreground to provide an area to paint. It was a fun evening even though we didn’t feel like we created anything particularly mind blowing. I’ll save you from the many abysmal failures 🙂 and just show you some of the samples which at least worked 🙂
Note: These images (especially the wider shots) look much better when larger – so click any of the images below to see larger versions in an inline overlay slideshow gallery viewer.
In this first we have a couple different green and blue strands of EL wire creating the not very convincing whispy blueish fire at the bottom, some smaller domes on the left (created using a bicycle wheel with an axle the same length as the radius of the wheel with some battery powered fairy lights around the rim) and a larger dome on the right using a length of dowel with a gelled torch at the end and to finish a sparkler was added at the very end (nice touch Kath :)). A 250 second exposure at f/20 gives us enough time to complete the painting.
In this second we’re using an iPad app Kath discovered to paint letters into the scene (you (attempt 🙂 to) move the iPad smoothly through the scene as it projects the sliver of text over time).
Lastly an orb of light created by spinning some gelled battery powered fairy lights at the end of a length of wire in a circle whilst slowly rotating around a central point on the ground.